top of page

October 9, 2017 Board Meeting

FAHA Board Meeting

October 9, 2017

The meeting was called to order by Jeff Miller at 7:15 pm.omeownersHhH  Our guest, Mark Owen (taxiway B), was introduced to the board.

Approval of previous minutes:

Minutes from the last board meeting on September 18th and the FAHA Annual Meeting and Picnic on October 1st had both been sent out to board members prior to tonight’s meeting. Drew Anderson questioned the statement condemning a drone operation over the runway shadowing a departing aircraft.  Jeff Miller stated the operation that was reported was inappropriate for safety reasons and inappropriate due to a lack of authorization from the airport operator – Rikki Birge.   Minutes were approved.


Proposed by:       Drew Anderson

Seconded by:      John Tomlinson

Motion made:    To Approve the minutes of September 18 and October 1

Approved:             Yes

Treasurers report:

Janet Gundlach reported that most recent email to the general membership did not include pdf of John Tomlinson’s powerpoint presentation from the general meeting.  Too many homeowners are incapable of downloading a large file with their existing computers.  The most recent email to homeowners included the minutes of the general meeting and offered to send the presentation file to anyone interested in the report.

Janet Gundlach had sent out statements to all board members prior to tonight’s meeting.  Several checks went out recently to cover services from Oliveira, CPA and Hanis, Irvine, Prothero, Law Firm.  This has left the balance in the account at $27,981.78.


Proposed by:       John Tomlinson

Seconded by:      Drew Anderson

Motion made:    To approve the Treasurers Report

Approved:             Yes

John Tomlinson observed that we met all but one of the Objectives set out for 2017.  We were not able to “develop new draft articles of incorporation and bylaws” based on the slowness of CPA and lawyer responses.  A new set of Objectives for 2018 should be drafted for review and approval by our next board meeting.

John rediscovered passwords to the FAHA website and he and Andy Karmy will be reworking the FAHA website.  The website is .  Discussion followed regarding content of the web site. One suggestion, the Lawsuit information be available on the website to view.  Our homework before the next board meeting:  go to the website, recommend changes.

John suggested that we may want to consider raising the annual dues to $50, $60, or even $100 to be better prepared to meet legal consulting fees.  During the taxiway meetings, several home owners brought up the idea of building up a “war chest” to prepare for inevitable expenses. Drew Anderson objected to the term “war chest” (Dick suggested “Hope Chest”) and expressed concern toward mandating fees beyond our needs.  It was with general agreement that no such labels would be used when communicating with the membership. Keith Hendrickson suggested that we have the dues stay the same at $40 and add an “assessment” to the amount necessary to handle billing.

Our mandate is to be ready in 2018 with the necessary corporate structures.  After the corporate structure is in place, the unusual expenses in our budget should go down.  As background information, the first Lawsuit cost FAHA around $200,000 and the second one around $275,000 (Davis, Wright, Tremaine).  There’s no doubt that preparing Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws, CC&R’s, etc. will produce legal expenses but nothing near lawsuit expenses.  The board will have to revisit this subject prior to mailing of dues assessments at the beginning of January, 2018.

Andy Karmy asked about general communication with Pat Hanis (HIP Law Firm) wanting to make sure that we let the Lawyers know who they can communicate with in order to control expenses.  Jeff Miller assured him that this had come up previously and the expectation is to have one point of contact between professionals and the board.

Janet will also send out; 1) latest financial statement, 2) updated homeowner list,3) latest FAHA bylaws to all the board members.

To bring our new board members up to date with current board thinking:  It is expected to implement simplified CC&R’s that would tie member properties to FAHA in exchange for access to the airport and guarantee that the airport would exist in perpetuity.  The structure and linkage of FAHA with the airport is expected through a LLC.  John Tomlinson pointed out that the linkage of the airport and the HOA are the immediate priorities with our lawyer advisors.

Mark Owen volunteered to locate and send out several examples of airpark articles and bylaws to the board (including Desert Aire in Central Washington).  Janet Gundlach will send out copies of (2011) FAHA By-Laws to members of the board.

Old Business:  Drew Anderson had requested at the last board meeting that we create a business plan for the operation of the airport.  John Tomlinson and Doug Matuska volunteered to work with Drew to formulate the plan.  Jeff requested figures reflecting cost to home owners if there is no revenue from the airport businesses.  Jeff gave the committee an estimate he had for resealing the runway.

Field Trip suggestion:  Candice Harvey, from the Snohomish Airport, who is the owner and operator, would be a great person to talk with regarding airport ownership.

Sometime in the near future we will want to survey the homeowners for their opinions.  John Tomlinson recommends Survey Monkey which allows 10 survey questions for free.  The surveys need to be tightly focused toward two or three issues relevant to home owners and their expectations moving toward airport ownership.

The name of Crest Airport is scheduled to change on October 15th to “Norman Grier Field”.  Doug Matuska suggested we have a windsock custom made for Rikki with the new name printed on it.  There is a need for a new windsock and this would be a nice gesture from the board.  All members of the board agreed to contribute $15 each to get a windsock for Rikki as our gift to her.


Proposed by:       Robbi Broussard

Seconded by:      Keith Hendrickson

Motion made:    To Adjourn the meeting

Approved:             Yes


12 in Attendance at Broussard’s Home

Board Members present:

Jeff Miller (2012), President                            Telephone 253-639-1915

John Tomlinson (2013), VP

Robbi Broussard (2012), Secretary

Janet Gundlach (even year), Treasurer

Doug Matuska (2012)

Drew Anderson (2015)

Keith Hendrickson (2017)

Andy Karmy (2017)

Leone Tomlinson

Dick Broussard

Shawn Selander

Board Members Absent:

Molly Littlefield (2012)

Guests present:

Mark Owens

Respectfully submitted,

Robbi Broussard

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

FAHA Board Meeting                         January 18, 2021 7 in attendance through Zoom (hosted by Andy Karmy) Board Members present: Jeff Miller (2012), President                   Telephone 253-639

FAHA Board Meeting                         December 14, 2020 9 in attendance through Zoom (hosted by Andy Karmy) Board Members present: Jeff Miller (2012), President                   Telephone 253-63

FAHA Board Meeting                         November 9, 2020 10 in attendance through Zoom (hosted by Andy Karmy) Board Members present: Jeff Miller (2012), President                   Telephone 253-63

bottom of page